Saturday 16 June 2007

To Emulate is to Flatter

It's nice to know that Bill Blunt leads the way. My earlier posts about the pleasures of cutting the lawn clearly inspired Mystic Veg to set up a fine blog dedicated to the delights of 'growing your own'. More power to his trowel, is what I say.

However, it's a brave man indeed that ever accused Bill Blunt of resting on his laurels. I can spot a niche being invaded when I see it, so I thought my readers would like to share my recent education in the art of constructing a compost bin. You never know when you may need to do this, after all, and I am pleased to say that I have had the opportunity to learn what I am about to impart at the knee of a master - Dave 'The Compost' Perry, from North London.

I must say, it looked pretty easy to me. All you need is a lot of bits of 3" x 3" wood about 12 feet long, a saw, a few screws and a screwdriver, and copious amounts of pre-treated plywood.

Of course, Dave kept the precise instructions for the construction of the frame close to his chest. Much noise was heard from the garage, late at night, as the bin took form.

I was able to catch a few photographs of the bin being made, but only by plying Dave with a large amount of local red wine. As you will see, it is an elaborate, three bin affair, allowing the compost to be regularly 'turned' from one bin to another. That, he led me to believe, was the secret of good compost.


Once bin one and two were 'fully loaded' with a mix of grass clippings, vegetable peelings and mulched up trees, I was invited to join in the ritual 'watering' of the compost. The lid was then lowered, and there's nothing more to do but sit back, turn it a few times and wait around a year until the pure, organic compost is ready.

This post is provided as a public service. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't quite make out if there is a modesty screen for the ritual 'watering' - if not, this could be a design fault Mr B.

Anonymous said...

Indeed, daddy papersurfer: you can be assured that all modesty was protected during the ritual.

Crofty said...

Ahh Bill, this blogging business gets better and better. I am proud to be a veteran of rot, an alchemist of black gold from my decaying kitchen waste. Never mind all this about waiting twelve months - get right in there with your garden fork each time you add some waste and allow the air through your heap; add the odd bit of fresh manure or chicken muck and you will have compost in 3 to 6 months.
I must do an enthusiastic compost post soon too.

Anonymous said...

It sounds very much to me as though it's time for a blog devoted solely to the subject of composting, crofty!