Sunday 28 June 2009

The Pepsi Challenge

I can't pretend I was the most disappointed person in the world when I heard that part-time MP for Darlington, Alan Milburn, was stepping down from the House of Commons at the next General Election.

In fact, I've only just surfaced from the mother of all celebratory benders during which, I can assure readers, we were consuming something slightly stronger than cola. The people of Darlington have been waiting for years for this moment, and they weren't about to miss the opportunity for a street-party.

Alan returned to frontline politics in 2004 (after he'd resigned as Secretary of State for Health to spend more time with his family), but his decision to quit again is apparently to let him "balance my work and my family life with the time to pursue challenges other than politics". It's clear from his blog (which is updated less frequently than my own - which is saying something) that there just aren't enough hours in the day for juggling being a family man, an MP, a blogger and a consultant to Pepsico.

Being a part-time MP is clearly a lucrative business - but it's clear that the Pepsi Challenge comes first for this particular honourable member. So, farewell then, Alan Milburn. I'm sure I'll be raising another drink to your departure before the day is out.


4 comments:

70steen said...

All this shuffling of Ministerial bottoms in seats is causing havoc in my working life.. I do so wish they would get some comfy cushions and simmer down!

Theresa111 said...

Sounds wonderful to me and I don't have an inkling who he is, but I do trust your good judgement. Hope you threw in some champagne as well.

Please tell our friend P.E. I send best wishes.

Crofty said...

I don't know about 'shuffling bottoms' I know there have been some twitchy ones recently. Not least from our own Phil Woolas after his savaging by Joanna Lumley before the nation!

Bill Blunt said...

Indeed, Crofty. But don't get me started on the subject of Mr Philip Woolas... we'll be here all day!