Thursday 23 August 2012

Check Your Facts!

It's a long time since I've had to make reference to Wally Green. As a cub reporter on the Stockport Examiner, Wally was a great influence on me. It was towards the end of March, 1967, and I received a phone call inviting me to a meeting of the Avril Phirst Appreciation Society - supposedly a group set up to commemorate the career of an Oldham actress from the 1930's. 

I was all ready to attend, when Wally suggested I make a few enquiries about the Society. Needless to say, they didn't check out, and I managed to avoid a bit of egg on my face by covering something which was clearly an April Fool's joke. If only the Wally's Wise Words were available to today's journalists. It started here: 


and in less than 24 hours had appeared here 


not to mention here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

Now, did anyone even attempt to contact Sir Norman Wrassle, who is quoted so extensively? Wally's Wise Words should be tattooed on the arm of every journalist. Check your facts - especially if they appear on the World Wide Web! 

No comments: